Monday, March 10, 2003

Dear Tutor Yeeman,


Thank you for lending me the book by Bonhoeffer. I greatly appreciate your kind attention to my spiritual growth along with gaining the true knowledge (epignosis, Colossian 2:2). After drinking years of milk, it is also my sincere desire to move on to solid food (Hebrews 5:14). I skimmed the book once when I first got it. My first reaction is that there are too few Scriptures quoted to back up Bonhoeffer’s train of reasoning. But my view has somewhat changed after my revisit to the book. I am simply not the targeted audience.

Now, back to when I have first finishing skimming the book. I, then, move on to other books and online resources. I have reviewed Catholic and mainstream Protestant denominations’ views and arguments on Trinity. Also, I have reviewed a few other Trinitarianisms which theologians self-profess to be Trinitarians but, unfortunately, some of their elements are strongly opposed by Catholic and some more traditional Protestants denominations. Last but not least, I have reviewed some major heretic, antitrinitarian sects’ view of Christ. However, I shall refrain from discussing doctrinal details in this letter for many reasons, which I would also prefer to discuss with you, if God allows, at some other time.

I read the book, “Christ the Center”, again. I would agree with one Amazon’s reviewer:


In his book (lecture), Christ the Center, the great German theologian Dietrich Bonhoeffer seeks to show a Christology that emphasizes a new angle from which to view Christ, while keeping Christ at the center of all consideration and study. For Bonhoeffer, the key to the new understanding of Christ is to change from asking "How" he is what he is to asking "Who" he is. The decisive question is always; Who is Christ? In Mark 8:29 Jesus asks this crucial question to his disciples. The asking the 'who' question rather than the 'how' moves Christ closer to the center. Bonhoeffer's theology radiates from Christ at the center. Christ can be found in the Word (logos), in the sacraments and members of the church, and is also the mediator of all earthly existence and history. Christ is always the center, and the only center. Bonhoeffer's style is very German. I found the book in places to be superfluously worded, a bit erudite, and dogmatic. I felt he used the "proof by repeated assertion" method to make his point. I agree with his suggestion to view Christ from different perspectives, breaking down the barriers that some views might impose. Still, I feel that when all "who" questions are asked, we still come around to needing to ask the "how" questions. It can not be avoided in a post-Enlightenment, scientific thinking world. I feel the need to ask 'how'" the "who" will answer all my question. Maybe it is just the semantics that confused me.

I would suspect that Bonhoeffer’s “proof by repeated assertion” is acceptable to his students since they were probably not unfamiliar with the Churches’ tradition and the scriptural evidence his argument alluding to. I think this book helped me gain understanding how the seminaries choose textbook for their students, to say the least.

Now, I shall turn your attention to let you understand briefly, if not too vaguely, my faith and its impact to the relationship between Shirley and me. As I said earlier, I shall refrain from discussing my faith in details. In short, I have become a Trinitarian skeptic leaning heavily toward dissenting the very doctrine (and a dissenter of a few other minor Churches’ doctrines which have little or no impact upon my religious practice). Note that my faith is not to be misinterpreted as Unitarianism for I may be stereotyped as a believer in some of their more radical doctrines which I have never professed, needless to say asserting.

For the sake of disturbing the least of my treasured relationship with Shirley (and fellow brethern in Philippi), I have wanted to adopt Nicodemism (refer to the attached stapled document). But I failed, miserably. I am too weak at heart to stand the torture against my understanding of the truth, especially when attending the sermons, even fellowshipping. Although I have tried to confess my research and spiritual journey to Shirley, it is only my most optimistic hope that if she may understand just a little of what I was trying to say to her for I was unskilled in speaking (2 Corinthians 11:6*). The dilemma between my hope for Shirley’s conversion and a simple reconciliation of both of our faiths constantly bothers me. It is an infliction upon my spirit if not too fleshly for I have lost much sleep over this matter.

Here I return the book to you. Thank you again for lending it to me, and now, reading my letter. I hope you shall have a pleasant day.

May the grace of the Lord Jesus be with you!

attached: a dissertation of Newton’s Nicodemite styled “heretic” faith
cc: Shirley (email)
* http://www.bible.org/cgi-bin/netbible.pl?book=2co&chapter=11#note_11

No comments: